While hurricane impact proof windows are becoming increasingly more popular, hurricane shutters still remain the most economical option. And of these, the most popular and affordable options are storm panels. Here is what you need to know about these hurricane resistant products.
What are Storm Panels?
These are solid, removable installations you put up when a severe storm rolls through. Once the danger has passed, you can remove the storm panels and store them out of the way until the next storm warning.
Benefits of Storm Panels as Hurricane Shutters
These window coverings:
- Eliminate glass breakage
- Protect the structural envelope
- Prevent injury
- Help you prepare for severe storms
- Increase the value of your home
Choosing the Right Storm Panels
When it comes to hurricane shutters in Sarasota, FL you have several options to choose from. The old standby are plywood panels, and while they might work in a pinch, they should not be your permanent go to for protection. Instead you want the rock solid construction of manufactured storm shutters. These will protect your vulnerable windows and doors when severe storms or hurricanes threaten the area.
Common Materials for Storm Panels
At Armored Dade Windows and Shutters we offer a few options, and each one meets the building codes for the state of Florida. Here are some choices to consider:
- Galvanized steel. These are the most resilient option and the most affordable, but are also heavy and awkward to hang. You will likely need help, and installation will take longer. You also need proper storage space while they are not in use.
- The corrugated design of these panels overlaps. This adds strength and durability, making them extremely resilient. While they are a bit lighter than galvanized steel, the panels are stull cumbersome and you might need help to install them properly. These hurricane shutters also block out the light and cut off your view of the outside.
- Clear polycarbonate. Once mounted, these lightweight storm panels are easy to install. The also let in natural light and allow you to see outside. Unfortunately this material is a more expensive option, and you still need enough storage space when you take the panels down.
- These hurricane shutters have several advantages over the other materials. They are light weight, very easy to put up and take down, and still let in ample amounts of natural light. These also fold up and require less storage space. Perhaps the leading downside is the expense.
Call Armored Dade for Hurricane Shutters in Sarasota, FL
Removable storm panels often provide the most economical protection. They withstand winds, rain, and debris of tropical storms. These window coverings also protect the fragile glass from shattering and sending dangerous shards flying throughout your home. And because each set is custom built to each opening, you can easily secure your entire house with the use of these hurricane shutters. Interested in learning more about storm panels or hurricane shutters? Do not wait! Call us today at 941-798-9010 or come by 8112 Cortez Rd. West, Bradenton, FL. 34210 to talk to an expert.